What we’ve been reading in April | Interrupt

Here are the articles, videos, and tools that we’ve been excited about this April.

We hope you enjoy these links, and look forward to hearing what you’ve been reading in the comments.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://interrupt.memfault.com/blog/april-2020-roundup

CLion is very nice. I smash renew on that invoice every year gladly. Much less expensive than SES (and the others) and a pleasure to use.

Memfault has been knocking out of the park recently, BTW. Thanks for all the high-quality articles.

Couldn’t agree more. The refactoring capabilities, deep Python support, unit testing built-in runners, and now the improvements to remote debugging and clang tools make it a no-brainer. I’m also watching the Makefile support closely. Dealing with Makefile Projects in CLion: Status Update | The CLion Blog

Hi, thanks for the interesting article. I consider myself a newbie about software development, so my question is, what features must a software project have to consider it production quality?

I imagine to have unit testing, static analysis, some sort of complexity measurement, docs.

What features must a software project have to consider it production quality?

Hi Carlos,

Welcome to Interrupt. Note that this would have been a good question to ask in a new Topic on community.memfault.com.

I think this really depends on your project & industry. In my opinion, the minimum viable project has a strong specification and a test plan.

Beyond that, I think the following technologies allow companies to ship quality faster, with less risk:

• Revision control
  • Code Review
  • Automated Builds
  • Continuous Integration
  • Unit Testing
  • Integration Testing
  • Automated Releases

I personally insist of these practices being used on the projects I work on. There of course are others that go above and beyond the aforementioned: canary releases, feature flags, automated hardware-in-the-loop tests, automated fuzzing, error monitoring, … and more.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the list of practices @francois, we follow some at work, but lack of experience or knowledge about others.

Indeed this could be a good question on the forum. I will create a new post about it.

Keep it coming guys. How do you end up finding such high quality content? Is there a secret RSS feed where all the cool embedded folks post their projects? Hehe. I would have never stumbled upon the “Noisefloor” project myself. Wow, so much to learn from.

No secret source :smiley:. Many of us check out Reddit /r/embedded, Hacker News, and other embedded websites like Embedded Artistry. I feel there has been more content these days, the problem is just stumbling across it all, like you mention.